Have you walked into a beauty store in search of the perfect bottle of shampoo, and only ended up in total perplexity because of so many options to choose from? And you ultimately end up buying the one that looks the most appealing?
You should never do it. You should always try to buy a sulphate and paraben free shampoo, but why is that? We will find out just that in this post.
Health comes first and shampoos filled with chemicals should be your last choice.
There are several important factors to consider while buying shampoo, and most of us focus on affordability and ingredients. There are many shampoos in the market that make claims to be free of toxic formulations, but they contain ingredients that are toxic for not just you, but also for the environment.
Don’t worry, I’ve put together this blog for you to take your hair game to the next, healthier and cleaner level!
Difference between Clean and Toxic shampoos
There’s a major difference in the ingredients used in both clean/hair friendly and regular shampoos. Non-toxic shampoos do not contain Sulphates and Parabens that all the regular shampoos always have. But why are they bad for you?
Let’s learn more about these ingredients:
Whenever you apply the shampoo to your hair, it creates lather. This lather is the result of the Sodium lauryl sulphate present in the shampoo. The sulphates do clear your scalp and get rid of dirt and grime, but they cause a lot harm to your hair.
In essence, it is a double edged sword.
Parabens are a type of preservative that is responsible for increasing the shelf life of beauty products. They stop the growth of bacteria and fungus but according to research, they can cause side effects and allergies.
If the parabens are removed from shampoos, you might see their costs increasing due to a decreased shelf life.
Why You Should Use Paraben and Sulphate-Free Shampoos?
You should always try to use haircare products that are made from natural ingredients and that’s because:
1. Sulphates are potential cancer-causing ingredients, even though they cleanse your scalp. They are also the main reason behind hair loss, hair thinning, damaged hair follicles, and slow hair growth.
2. Parabens not only cause allergic reactions but also affect your skin and cause dermatitis and rosacea.
3. Sulphates can greatly affect eye health and cause blindness. It is highly recommended that they must not be used on babies and infants.
4. Because of its estrogen-like effects on the body, even parabens are responsible for having cancer-causing ingredients.
5. The worst part is Sulphate strips off the natural moisture and oils present in your scalp. On the other hand, clean shampoos clean your hair more effectively and retain the moisture of your scalp.
How to find the Perfect Paraben and Sulphate-Free shampoo for you?
There are two different ways that you can use to find the perfect clean shampoo for yourself: based on your scalp and hair type.
Finding the Right Shampoo for Your Hair Type
1. Shampoos for Dry Hair
If you have dry hair, all your scalp needs is a boost of hydration! The perfect one for you would be a moisturizing shampoo. A shampoo that has the goodness of Almond Oil, or Olive Oil, which naturally hydrates and protects the keratin and retains moisture.
Whereas, other oils such as grape seed is proven to be beneficial in improving and maintaining the shine and overall health of your hair. So, try to have them in your shampoo.
2. Shampoos for Colored Hair
If you have colored hair, you need a shampoo that will not only cleanse gently but also one which will nurture your colored hair and preserve its color. It must also help in strengthening the damaged hair because of coloring.
The shampoo that has extracts from flowers such as rose is ideal. You can check for one that contains ingredients like lime Himalayan herbs and flowers that treat your damaged hair gently and bind the color pigment to the hair so that it lasts longer.
3. Shampoos for Damaged Hair
If you’re someone who has damaged hair because of UV rays or using heat styling, you need a shampoo that will fix and make your hair soft, silky, and smooth. Shampoos that contain the goodness of Moroccan Argon and Blackseed/Kalonji Oil, along with extracts of Ginger, Aloe Vera, Coriander, and Oils of Castor and Neem are a good fit.
Generally, we can say that these ingredients are best to improve your hair health and repair damage.
4. Shampoos for Dull Hair
All you need is a shampoo that will add shine and a healthy glow to your hair. A shampoo that contains Aloe Vera and Citrus heal damaged and unhealthy scalp and leave your hair looking bright and shiny. Definitely, something to look for!
5. Shampoos for Fine Hair
Thin and fine hair tends to get oily in no time. Use a shampoo that will help you to get rid of extreme oiliness with its pomegranate and raspberry juice. Extracts of blueberry and oats also will nourish your hair. The soy and wheat protein will add volume to your hair by making it look fuller naturally.
6. Shampoos for Frizzy Hair
People living in humid regions can relate to this. Chances are that you have frizzy hair, that looks uncontrollable. The best option to keep your frizz under control is using anti-frizz hair products. Lavender oil and other premium botanical extracts which reduce your frizz without damage.
Buying a Shampoo Based on Your Scalp Type
1. Shampoo for an Oily Scalp
Finding the perfect shampoo for the oily scalp is a chaotic task, and it’s possible that you haven’t found the perfect one yet. To control the sebum and oil production level, here’s what you should do:
- Avoid using shampoos that add moisture and hydration to your oily scalp. It’ll do you more harm than good
- Shampoos that make volumising, and strengthening claims will balance out the moisture and control oil
- While using the shampoo, massage it on your scalp gently for some time, so that you can get rid of the oil on your scalp
Herbs and essential oils will help in repairing your damaged follicles and also control sebum production.
2. Shampoos for a Dry Scalp
If you have a dry scalp with flakes, you need a kind of shampoo that will not only get rid of that dryness but also the embarrassment;
- Avoid moisturising, strengthening, and volumising shampoos. They will not give you the hydration you want and get rid of the natural oil already present in your scalp
- Look for shampoos that are hydrating, and smoothing and also that will provide the necessary moisture to get rid of dryness.
Use a shampoo that has tea tree oil, which is packed with the perfect ingredient for dandruff and dry, itchy scalps. It leaves a cooling effect on the scalp and removes all dirt and flakiness.
How to Use a Sulphate and Paraben-free shampoo?
1. Make sure that your hair is evenly wet to give you a good base for the application of shampoo.
2. The lesser the better. Use a small amount of shampoo. Paraben and Sulphate-Free Shampoos don’t lather much, but they are effective
3. If you think you need more shampoo to wash your hair, don’t take shampoo just add more water. By doing this you will activate your shampoo and improve the cleansing process
4. Wash your hair in two rounds to make sure all dirt is removed.
5. Finally, to lock in moisture and get frizz-free hair, use a clean conditioner.
What to expect when you switch to a Sulphate and Paraben-Free shampoo?
Although it might take you a little time to adjust to these shampoos, here’s what you can expect in the beginning:
1. You will see changes in oil production which will either increase or decrease. It’s a normal thing and can go on for several weeks.
2. People think that more foam means better cleansing, but it’s not so. Regular shampoos create thick lather, but clean shampoos don’t. They still cleanse your hair better.
3. You will notice a thickness in your hair because these shampoos will treat the damaged hair follicles. Some people see the difference that their hair growth has increased.
How can you make this transition easier?
1. Take it Easy
What you need to do first is reduce the number of times you shampoo your hair each week. From the third week onwards, start using the clean shampoo instead of the chemical one.
2. Notice the Changes and Document Them
The best way to make this journey more fun is by documenting each change. Click the pictures of your hair when you’re just starting to use the new shampoo and compare them with the earlier ones.
Notice the changes in your hair texture. Document all the changes and soon you’ll be able to evaluate the huge difference it has made to your hair.
3. Invest in Quality Products
When you’re making the switch, don’t cut edges. This is a game-changing decision and you need to invest some money to get the best choice. Before buying, make sure to research the ingredients of the shampoo and how it can benefit your hair type.
4. Focus on Taking Care of Your Hair
There’s a reason why you need to concentrate on frequent washing and brushing of your hair. It will get rid of any build-up on your scalp. And brushing hair is necessary because it will distribute the natural oils over the entire scalp on your head.
5. Use Argan Oil
Argan oil is the superfood for your hair when it comes to nourishment. It is a breathable and natural ingredient that your hair will fall in love with. It tames your frizzy hair and makes it healthier.
6. Show Some Patience
To see the effect of the new shampoo, you need to be patient. You’ll not see the results overnight. Sometimes the results take a lot of time to show up, but once you notice how good it is for your hair, it will all be worth it.
Chemical shampoos are only a quick fix, but the clean ones have a lasting effect on your hair that won’t go away easily.
Change Your Chemical Shampoo for a Healthier Alternative
So, enjoy this transformational journey that will leave your hair beautiful and luscious like never before, and without causing harm to the environment! Be patient and record every step and change of your journey to make it more fun!
Read More Interesting Blogs:
- A-Z Guide to Body Butter vs Body Lotion vs Body Oils
- How to Build Your Ayurvedic Skincare Routine?
- 21 Wound Healing Foods You Must Eat
- Healthiest Dry Fruits List to Strengthen Your Body
Buy top notch skincare products from Kashmir.
Chocolate Body Wash₹452.38
Sandalwood Body Wash₹452.38
Coffee Face Wash₹547.62
Rose Face Wash₹547.62
Charcoal Face Wash₹547.62
Honey Face Wash₹547.62
Papaya Face Wash₹547.62
Lavender Face Wash₹547.62
Poppy Seed Scrub₹833.33
Honey & Oats Scrub₹842.86
Berry & Beetroot Lip Balm₹452.38
Beeswax Lip Balm₹452.38
Peppermint Lip Balm₹452.38
Lavender Soap [Pack of 2]₹333.33
Papaya Soap [Pack of 2]₹333.33
Honey Soap [Pack of 2]₹333.33
Charcoal Soap [Pack of 2]₹333.33
Rose Soap [Pack of 2]₹333.33
Walnut Soap [Pack of 2]₹333.33
Turmeric Soap [Pack of 2]₹333.33
Saffron OilProduct on sale
Apricot Scrub [Pack of 2]₹642.86
Almond OilProduct on sale
Apricot OilProduct on sale
Walnut OilProduct on sale
Mir Saeid is the Growth Hacker of Kashmirica, a brand that is poised to ‘Bring Exclusives from Kashmir to You’. An enthusiastic cultural entrepreneur, he is driven by a passion to bring about a social impact. He has a Masters in International Business from the University of Bedfordshire and has worked in leading Marketing positions at various SMEs and Startups for 8+ years.
Intrigued by the crafts of his birthplace, he decided to bring the art on the Global Connoisseur through the internet. A polyglot who speaks English, Arabic, Urdu & Koshur, Mir loves traveling, reading, writing, and spending time on the cricket field – a passion rekindled just recently.